Thursday, October 8, 2009

Salmon with sweet and spicy rub

I don't like fish. Well, that's not totally true. I'll eat fried fish if there is a ratio of breading to fish of approximately 3 to 1, and if it's covered--and I mean completely covered--in tartar sauce. And there have been a few times at a restaurant where I've tried a bite of the husband's fish and didn't totally gag. But I generally stay clear from the stuff. It just sort of grosses me out.

I do like the idea of salmon, though. It isn't as fishy as some fish, and it's the only fish I'll attempt to serve at home. But when it is on our menu, I usually end up eating just a bit of it before I'm grossed out by the thought of what I'm eating. I'm weird that way.

But this recipe literally changed my life, or at least the department of my life devoted to eating salmon. When I make salmon using this recipe, I scarf down the whole thing, to the husband's great disappointment. And the best part is that it's super easy.

Sweet and spicy salmon3

Ingredients:
Cooking spray
2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Six 5-ounce salmon fillets, skin* and pin bones removed (I usually use just one large piece of salmon)
1 tablespoon olive oil

Sweet and spicy salmon1

Directions:
1. Coat grill or grill pan with cooking spray and preheat over medium* heat.
2. While the grill is heating, combine brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper.
3. Brush each salmon fillet with 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil, and rub each fillet with about 1/2 teaspoon of the spice mixture.

Sweet and spicy salmon2

4. Grill the salmon, spice side down,* until charred, about 4-5 minutes.
5. Flip the salmon and cook another 5-6 minutes for medium doneness. For well-done fish, cook an additional 1-2 minutes.
6. Transfer to platter and serve immediately.

Sweet and spicy salmon3

* I leave the grilling to the husband. He likes the unpredictability of cooking with fire. We leave the skin on the salmon. The husband places it on the grill with the skin side down and covers the grill. The skin gets nice and crispy. I peel the skin off right before I plate the salmon, and then Sadie does back flips and other neat tricks for the crispy little treat. If you have the time, cook the salmon over low coals (for about 15-20 minutes). It takes longer, but the salmon retains so much moisture it's well worth it.

From The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life by Ellie Krieger.

1 comment:

Hi! Thanks so much for visiting and sharing your thoughts and comments!

LinkWithin

 

The Handwork Chronicles | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012