I spent the better part of this morning searching for some new muffin recipes for Lachlan, and I came across the website Weelicious and I already love it! I ran to the store and got the fixins for four different muffins. As soon as we got home I started making the carrot pineapple muffins and the first batch came out of the oven just in time for Lachlan to stuff his face with a little more than one of them before his nap (and that's after he was stuffed full from his snack!).
The recipe was really easy. I increased both the pineapple and carrots, and I think next time I make it I'll increase the pineapple even more. These were really good. I've already had two. :)
1 1/4 cup flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup agave nectar or honey (awesome use of the agave nectar I got for the husband for Christmas!)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup finely chopped pineapple or 1 8-oz can crushed pineapple, drained well
(I used about 3/4 cup pineapple and feel like I still could have added more for my taste)
1 cup shredded carrot (I ended up using about 1.5 cups)
1/2 cup walnuts, optional (I left these out)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. In separate bowl combine butter and agave. Add eggs and whisk to combine.
4. Add the vanilla, pineapple, carrots and walnuts (if using).
5. Stir in the dry ingredients. Be sure not to over mix.
6. Bake about 18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.