Friday, February 12, 2010

Margaret Meyer and Becky Fowler

Yesterday I discovered the work of Margaret Meyer. She is an amazing artist in Portland who was so, so lucky (in my opinion) to work on designing and fabricating the costumes for the stop animation film Coraline.

I discovered Margaret because she sells some of her art in her Etsy shop, and she asks people to share the stories that they make up based on the characters in her paintings. My brilliant and funny and unbelievably creative friend Becky (the one who loved to quote Pee Wee Herman during knitting class) actually took her up on this offer. Yesterday, her story--Chapter 1 of “Finders Keepers: A Summer Story (that Ends Sadly and Happily in the Fall)”--was posted on Margaret's blog.

The story was inspired by the rabbit and bird in this painting of Margaret's, called "Lost," and it is well worth your time to read the short story that Becky wrote about them. (And I'm not just saying that because Becky is a friend!) I suspect that you, like me, will be left begging Becky to tell the rest of the story and can picture Becky writing the entire book with illustrations by Margaret. I can but hope!


Painting and photo by Margaret Meyer.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Melissa!
    Hearing that Becky quotes PeeWee only endears her more.
    Thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only did Becky quote Pee Wee Herman in knitting class, but she did it with an almost identical voice and some fantastic facial expressions to boot! She is hands-down the funniest person I've ever known.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Groovy, I'll have to check out her story :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear I got so close to capturing Pee Wee's voice, but we both know the reason my facial expressions were so right on is because I look a little like him--especially when he's riding around with that sexy convict. I mean, that's me.

    Thanks for posting this, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks so much for visiting and sharing your thoughts and comments!

LinkWithin

 

The Handwork Chronicles | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012