Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Coming soon to a studio near me

At the risk of totally jinxing myself before my new baby is safely moved into her new home, I'm THRILLED to let you know that it looks like there will be a new addition to my family very, very soon.

To make a long story short, I've been looking to get another printing press and I know a local fella with one. I've been stalking him for more than a year, constantly reminding him that I'd really like to have the press if he ever decided to get rid of it. The letterpress gods must be smiling on me, because on Monday he called and said he was ready to part with it. He had planned to get into making art prints with it, but his interests have changed and he's ready for it to go to a new home.

I drove down to his house today to look at it, and of course I forgot to take my camera. It's an 8x12, the size smaller than my current 10x15 press, but it's in great shape other than some dust. In fact, the original gold pinstriping is still visible on the flywheel! I forgot to write down the serial number so I'm not sure how old it is, but it's older than my current press, which was manufactured in 1915. And because it's an old style press, it has the beautiful curved spokes on the flywheel (my current press has straight spokes).

Once I clean it up, it will look just like this:



Isn't it gorgeous? I'm just so in love with the beautiful flywheel on these old presses!

It will probably be about 2 weeks before we can pick her up, but I'll be sure to post photos of her once she's here.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!! :)

3 comments:

Hi! Thanks so much for visiting and sharing your thoughts and comments!

LinkWithin

 

The Handwork Chronicles | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012