Friday, August 20, 2010

West side story - Act 1: The east side

I've been dying to show you the photos of what my mom and I accomplished on the west side of my house while she was here, but it's been raining nonstop lately and this morning was the first time I could get some good photos!

As a reminder, here's what the west side looked like before:

West side before

West side before

And here it is now!

IMG_8398

IMG_8396

IMG_8401

This side of the house is the perfect place to sit to watch our amazing sunsets, so all the colors of the flowers were chosen to match the sunset: bright pinks, light purples, and dark reds and oranges.  I also included several types of ornamental grasses to provide some extra interest (the switch grass is my favorite!). So far the hummingbirds and bees are loving the new additions.

I'm always in search of yard art, and I just couldn't pass up this turtle and sun at one of the local nurseries. Their copper color works perfectly with the color of the rock and the copper solar lights I used to outline the area.

IMG_8399

IMG_8400

This space also features a sunset viewing area, complete with a rock table. I'm currently on the hunt for the perfect chairs for this space.

IMG_8397

A wide area of lawn with stepping stones will separate the east side (up against the house) from the west side. I'll use the same grass seed that I used in the backyard, but first I need to spend some time killing the original grass and weeds in this area.

IMG_8396

Next up, after I kill the rest of the weeds and grass, is to plant the area on the other side of the lawn. This space will slowly blend into the area in front of the house, which will feature low-growing and drought tolerant prairie grasses, yellow evening primrose, fuschia four o'clocks, and prairie clover, among others. I hoped to get to that this fall, but at the rate I'm going, I think it may have to wait until next spring...

5 comments:

  1. OMG!!!! STUNNING!!!

    Does Mama rent out?

    Just wonderin'?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :D

    You'll have to talk to her manager about the possibility of renting her any time this season. I kept her for 4 days past her original return date, and not only did he demand that I send her back, but he went slightly feral while she was gone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've said it before, but you and your mom are just incredible. How on earth did you move that cool rock table into position?! Pretty soon I hope you'll have time to relax a bit..sit, sip a drink, and watch the sun set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I have pictures somewhere documenting the process of building that rock table. If I can find them, I'll post them. It was quite a project, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey....and whenever you get that machine oiled and running at it's prime...can I order a series of notecards...with a black goofy great dane on the corner??

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks so much for visiting and sharing your thoughts and comments!

LinkWithin

 

The Handwork Chronicles | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012