Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Showers for Goober

Last weekend my mom hosted a baby shower for me and invited all the local relatives and family friends in New Mexico.

It was great to see everyone, and the baby got a lot of great gifts. But one of the best parts of the whole day was the cake my mom got for the party. We don't plan to find out the sex of the baby before s/he arrives, and rather than always refer to the baby as "it" or "the baby," I've given him/her the nickname of Goober.

The nursery will be very simple and consist almost entirely of art of African animals that I got in 2008 while working in Ethiopia. Giraffes are the predominant animal, but I also have some zebras, rhinos, elephants, and hippos.

So my mom got some images of letterpress cards I've made in the past and gave these to the bakery to use to decorate the cake. I love the talking hippo saying hello to Goober!!

Goober cake_r

While printing the giraffe cards for Mary a few weeks ago, I realized that the giraffes were the same colors that I planned to use in the nursery (along with a slate blue), so I printed extra cards and used them as favors for the shower. I also made some seed paper in the shape of giraffes. I used leftover paper from my letterpress cards, blended it up, added cosmo seeds, and formed it into the shape of giraffe. Party attendees also received a bar of my brother's awesome soap (do those Koi Mountain labels look familiar? :)

favor package_r

Two weekends ago, I had another shower. My in-laws came down to Colorado from Wyoming and threw me a surprise baby shower! Of course, I didn't know about it because it was a surprise, so I didn't have my camera. And the husband (who was in on the surprise) didn't think to bring it. But we got a ton of great stuff at that shower, too, so Goober's nursery is pretty well stocked with goodies at this point!

7 comments:

  1. You know, "Goober" is a fairly gender-neutral name--I imagine your name search is over! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute!! My dad's nickname for my younger sister was "goober" because she was so small like a peanut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the comments! I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one who has used the nickname Goober! (The husband and my dad both think I'm a little crazy!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw it's so much fun to ready a nursery. Love the cake and recognized your designs right away. The plantable giraffe is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww. So when is this little chocolate covered peanut arriving!

    LOVE that cake...But your gifts are just gorgeous! And the seed paper...Oooooh you have my mind churning...I can see them as a great non profit gift/fundraiser. Planting seeds of hope. Hmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, the seed paper is SUPER easy to make! All you need is scraps of paper, a blender, some window screen, a cookie cutter, and some seeds. I had so much fun making these that I might even try to find the time to make some to use as tags for Christmas presents. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks so much for visiting and sharing your thoughts and comments!

LinkWithin

 

The Handwork Chronicles | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012